Any idea about what exactly is Hypoactive sexual desire disorder? If you are experiencing a constant lack of sexual desire and do not find pleasure in having sexual activity with your partner, then perhaps you are suffering from hypoactive sexual desire disorder or HSDD. HSDD is often called ISD or Inhibited Sexual Desire. When a person experiences this issue, he or she neither feel any sexual desire nor respond to the sexual activity of the partner.
This problem is found in all age groups, but most women experience this problem after attaining menopause. Apart from that, work pressure, medications, hormonal changes are responsible for HSDD in women. HSDD is chronic and leads to great distress, not just for women but also for their partners. In many cases, a woman is no way aware as to why she lost her sex drive. It can turn his partner frustrated and may start thinking about the fate of the couple's relationship.
What are the subtypes of HSDD?
There are some subtypes of HSDD, and it includes:
- HSDD -Global (Low desire for sex with partners)
- HSDD- Situational (There is a desire for sex, but not for current partner)
- HSDD - Acquired (Develops after a time when one is done with normal sexual functioning)
- HSDD - Lifelong (Never had any sexual desire)
Potential causes of HSDD or low sex drive
There can be various reasons responsible for a low sex drive. Let’s check the potential causes which are responsible for low sex drive in a woman.
- Women who have underlying health issues like breast cancer, diabetes, urinary infection, thyroid, depression, etc. are prone to face hypoactive sexual desire disorder.
- Change in hormone levels in a woman is one of the most significant causes of low sex drive. Due to the low production of estrogen during menopause, pregnancy, and breastfeeding, women can face the issue like HSDD.
- Imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain will lower the excitement in women and will cause a lack of sexual desire.
- Medications are also one of the significant reasons for low libido in women.
- When life becomes stressful and hectic, then it is not uncommon feeling low in sexual desire. After a day with a hectic work schedule, a person can hardly think of having sex. If this goes continuously, a person starts suffering from Inhibited Sexual Desire.
- If any of the partners suffers from problems like excess pain or dysfunction, this causes disappointment and lack of sexual desire.
- Apart from physical problems, HSDD may also arise due to a lack of trust and faith in a relationship. Women lose their interest in getting involved in sexual activity if there is a conflict in the relationship.
Treatments of HSDD
Disorder in sexual desire, can be treated after consulting with experts. The healthcare advisors will ask several questions that will help them to understand the basic problem for HSDD. Once the counsellors diagnose the causes of this problem, they will recommend either sex therapy or other medications depending on the severity of the issue. Besides, the relationship status and emotional factors are also taken into consideration. If you are experiencing a problem in arousing the desire to have sex with your partner, then meet your doctor for guidance and treatment today.